Welcome to RAWS
This part of the website will provide you with all the information you need to setup and operate under the Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme (RAWS).
The RAWS allows for the importation and supply of used specialist or enthusiast vehicles to the market in Australia. Under this scheme, only a Registered Automotive Workshop can import a used vehicle into Australia.
A Registered Automotive Workshop is a business that has been approved to import and plate up to 100 used vehicles (per vehicle category), per year. Please see the About RAWS page for further information.
Road Vehicle Compliance Update
The second issue of the Road Vehicle Compliance Update has been released.
In Road Vehicle Compliance Update Issue 2 you will find updates on:
- the department's current areas of compliance focus for new vehicle manufacturers and Registered Automotive Workshops
- non-compliance and safety issues with small trailers
- import requirements for mopeds
- new guidance material for non-road vehicles
- the compulsory recall of Takata airbags
- asbestos in vehicles
In response to some identified compliance issues, the department is currently focusing on a number of areas as part of its compliance monitoring activities. These include:
- Left to right hand drive steering conversions
- Validity of RAWS test evidence
- Assessment of quality management systems
When conducting audits and inspections, the department will be focusing in detail on these issues.
All other aspects of RAWS audits and inspections will be conducted in accordance with current processes.
Please ensure you familiarise yourself with your obligations and requirements relating to these topics. Further details can be obtained by contacting the department on firstname.lastname@example.org.